Just about every holiday diner table will look different based on this dishes that are served, but I say if you don’t have some cornbread on the table, something is missing. And if you think you can’t have some good, old fashioned, southern cornbread that is Vegan… well get ready! Chef Donna Green Good has a recipe box full of southern soul food goodness and every recipe is Vegan. Today we are sharing her moist Southern Cornbread recipe that is easy to make and sure to please. Keep scrolling for the ingredients, instructions and details on Chef Donna and more of her recipes.
1 1⁄2 cups yellow or white whole grain cornmeal 1⁄2 cup yellow or white whole grain grits
1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons sweetener (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons Featherweight baking powder
1 tablespoon EnerG egg replacer
1 3⁄4 cups vanilla flavored soy milk
2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
3/4 – 1/2 quarter cup hot water
vegetable oil spray or coconut oil
HOW TO PREPARE:
- Place empty skillet in oven and heat to 400 degrees.
- Place all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix.
- Mix all liquid ingredients together.
- Add liquid mix to dry ingredients and stir.
- Stir, adding enough hot water to make a smooth batter.
- Remove skillet from oven.
- Carefully a bit of vegetable oil or coconut oil to base the skillet .
- Pour the mix into the skillet.
- Place in 400 degree oven and bake until done. Serves 6-8
Pro Tip: Feel free to change it up!
– Add corn and bell peppers or mild green chilies to the batter.
-Add 1 heaping tablespoon of soy sour cream and 1 tablespoon honey to batter.
-Add some crumbled veggie bacon to batter.
-Or do all of the above!